BE AWARE THAT HABITAT TYPE MORE THAN ANY OTHER FACTOR, WILL IN MOST CASES, DICTATE THE SPECIES OF BIRD THAT VISIT YOUR PROPERTY.
How to Attract House Finch
A frequent visitor of bird feeders, the House Finch is among the easiest birds to attract. Their favorite seed is Black-Oil Sunflower but they will eat other varieties of Sunflower Seed, Nyjer and Millet.. They take seed from all different types of bird feeders. In the wild the House Finch eat flower, weed, and grass seeds, in addition to some fruits/berries. House Finch frequently use birdbaths.
Top Ways to Attract House Finch
Trees & Shrubs that Attract House Finch
- American Elderberry (Fruit)
- Crabapple (Fruit)
- Eastern White Pine (Seeds, Nesting)
- Red Mulberry (Fruit)
- Wild Cherry (Fruit)
Flowers & Vines that Attract House Finch
Attracting House Finch with a Bird Feeder
- Feeder Type:
- Hanging Tube
- Suet Feeder
- Nyjer Seed
- Sunflower Seed
House Finch Information
House Finch Identification
- Small-sized bird
- Male: Red head/breast, brownish with streaks everywhere else
- Female: Light brown, streaky underparts
House Finch Habitat
- Anywhere with bird feeders
- Open Woodlands
- Open Backyard/Lawn/Garden
- Overgrown Field/Grassland
House Finch Eating Habits
- Primarily seeds – either from bird feeder or natural/wild sources
- Occasionally fruit/berries
House Finch Nesting
- Incredibly variable – will use deciduous trees, evergreen trees, shrubs, manmade structures, etc.
inHow to Attract Birds
How to Attract Birds
Join Our Newsletter and Get the Latest
Posts to Your Inbox
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.