How to Attract Mourning Dove
BE AWARE THAT HABITAT TYPE MORE THAN ANY OTHER FACTOR, WILL IN MOST CASES, DICTATE THE SPECIES OF BIRD THAT VISIT YOUR PROPERTY.
Description: Very common and widespread, the Mourning Dove is very easy to attract, scattering their favorite seed – millet – on the ground is your best bet, though they will eat a great variety of seed (both store bought and wild). Mourning Doves nest in or on man-made structures, the ground, shrubbery and evergreen/deciduous trees. They will use birdbaths.
- Large-sized bird
- Tannish/pink overall, black spots on wings, long-pointed tail
- Open Fields
- Open Woodlands
- Forest Edge
- Roadsides - often perches on power lines
- Seeds and grains comprise nearly all of diet
- Occasionally eats small berries
- Feeds on the ground
- Will visit feeders - prefers ground feeders
- Manmade structures – eaves, gutters
- Not picky: will also nest in trees, shrubs, and on the ground